Tag Archives: Google App Engine

HEAD.JS, Twitter Bootstrap, Django, and Google App Engine… Oh my!

After watching an awesome presentation about Twitter Bootstrap at this year’s CodeStock, I really wanted to give it a try.

As with most web projects that I want to deploy rapidly, I turned to Django (nonrel) and Google App Engine and started tweaking the default template I’ve got for creating a new website. I use mediagenerator to combine all of my JS into a single minified file which I include at the bottom of the page to ensure faster load times and so that the DOM is ready for my JS.

It only took a few minutes to make the updates to my template, and then I was ready to deploy and start playing.

Continue reading


BadRequestError on django non-rel with Google App Engine

I’ve been playing around with Django lately, and have stumbled upon the glory of Django-nonrel (and it’s ability to use Google App Engine).

It’s all been heaven, except for when I tried deploying a test application. I got this weird BadRequestError and it seems that my application name had a “s~” prefixed to it.

After hours on Google, I think I found the root of the problem, but then updated the code someone else posted a bit to make it easier to use (they had it so that one would specify 2 environment variables, I’ve updated it to be just one).
Continue reading